Vehicle Registration

Vehicle Registration

Information about Registering a vehicle

Below are the requirements for registering or transferring a motor vehicle, prior to doing that you require a roadworthy certificate.

This advice is regarding registering a motorcycle, motor trike, truck up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) or car which has previously been registered in Victoria only or has never been registered and has not been written-off.


A vehicle can only be registered in a single private name or in the name of an incorporated body.

The minimum age a person can be the registered operator varies depending on the following:

  • motorcycle — 17 years and 9 months
  • trailer or light vehicle (4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or less) — 17 years of age
  • trailer or heavy vehicle (Over 4.5 tonnes GVM) — 18 years of age

Make an appointment

If you are the previous registered operator and the vehicle details have not changed, the vehicle will not need to be inspected but you will need to attend a VicRoads office to register the vehicle.

An appointment (at no fee) is still required to have the vehicle re registered.

To make an appointment call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm).

If you are not the previous registered operator or the vehicle details have changed, you are required to make an appointment to have the vehicle inspected at any VicRoads Customer Service Centre.


You will be required to pay the following fees to register your vehicle:

If you supply evidence that the vehicle was previously registered in your name you do not need to pay motor vehicle duty.

To make an appointment

  • call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8:30am – 5:00pm, Sat 8:30am – 2:00pm). You can pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard); OR
  • visit any VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You can pay by credit card, EFTPOS, cheque or cash.

When making an appointment you will be asked for the vehicle identification number (VIN), the engine number and, if applicable, the registration plate number.

Evidence of Identity

On the day you register the vehicle you must bring your current Victorian driver licence or permit. If you can’t provide this you will then need to bring original proof of identity documents. You must provide:

  • one document with primary evidence (eg. current passport or Australian birth certificate)
  • one document showing secondary evidence (eg. bank statement, credit/account card, student identity card or Medicare card)
  • if not indicated in the primary or secondary documents, evidence of residence

One of these documents must have your signature on it.

Number plates

Following registration, the number plates must be attached to the vehicle before it may be driven. New number plate screws are not provided so it is suggested you retain the screws from the previous plates.

The previous plates may be reissued to the vehicle if you were the last registered operator and the registration has not been cancelled for more than 12 months. A plate fee still applies. If the registration has expired by more than 12 months, the previous plates can be reissued as custom plates (at an additional charge) if the plate number has not been assigned to another vehicle or person.

NOTE: Under section 9B of the Road Safety Act 1986, the transfer of a vehicle to a new registered operator does not provide evidence of title or ownership to any motor vehicle or trailer.

Cancelling or changing your appointment

If you want to change an appointment you will need to pay another appointment fee.

The test fee can be transferred to a new time (or refunded if the test is cancelled) if 24 hours notice is given.

What to bring

  • proof of identity
  • proof of ownership (contract of sale or receipt showing the VIN and the engine number; name, address and signature of previous owner; name and address of the new owner)
  • if an inspection is required, the vehicle
  • in the case of an appointed agent acting on your behalf, a signed letter of authority stating your Victorian licence number
  • a current Certificate of Roadworthiness

Driving an unregistered vehicle to a place of registration

An unregistered vehicle permit is required for all unregistered vehicles used for any reason on Victorian roads.

Prior to registration, you will need to get an unregistered vehicle permit if the vehicle needs to be driven for the purpose of obtaining repairs or a roadworthy certificate.